The inspiration for this burger came from my absolute favorite local restaurant here in my small, Southern town. They rotate their menu seasonally and often, which I love because it keeps our offerings fresh and exciting, and the ingredients at their peak , but sadly it also means I’m always forced to say goodbye to favorite menu-items every couple of month. So what’s a girl to do? Recreate them at home, obviously! While the ingredients may sound odd for the likes of a burger, this is truly one of the best burger combinations I’ve ever had in my LIFE. You can make things even easier by using your favorite store-bought blueberry jam in place of the homemade compote. Either way, you will love this one!
Here’s what you’ll need:
Makes 1 Burger
- 1 Grass-Fed Bubba Burger patty
- 1 Brioche burger bun
- 1 Tbsp. Ghee or olive oil
- 1/2 Small onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 Cup blueberries, fresh or frozen (or 2 tbsp. blueberry jam, warmed)
- 3-4 Slices brie chees
- Small handful of arugula
- Sea salt, to taste (optional)
- In a cast-iron skillet over medium heat, or on the grill, cook burger patty until you see juices from on top, about 5 to 6 minutes or so, then slip and top with brie to melt. Continue cooking another 5 minutes, or until patty reaches desired doneness.
- In a large cast-iron skillet over medium-low heat, caramelize the onion in the ghee. To do this, sauté the onions until they start to brown, then periodically add just enough water to cover the bottom of the skillet and stir every so often, adding water as needed. This is so the onions will continue cooking without burning. Repeat until onions are browned and caramelized to your liking. This will take several minutes. Season with sea salt to taste, if desired.
- While the onions cook, in a separate small skillet or saucepan, cook the blueberries in just enough water to cover, smooshing the berries with a spatula as they warm and soften. Eventually, creating a compote as the water evaporates. Remove from heat. If desired, you can stir in a drizzle of honey or maples syrup to sweeten further.
- To serve, top bun with the cooked patty, the arugula, the caramelized onion and the blueberry compote. Serve warm.